Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Cultural Rewind!


With the passing of Leonard Nimoy, we have to agree that we have moved on to a galaxy far, far away. How far, is the question. As one generation ages out of significance, the review of vintage content is put in a different context. We now call it time travel, euphemistically. How quaint! We used to call it history. See my pic of Mr. Shatner from an iconic Twilight Zone episode a few posts ago to illustrate something or other. I cannot remember what but the crew of the Enterprise is never far from my mind. Oddly enough, it endears me to a new brand of young nerds. You have no idea how happy this makes me to be embraced by youthful people who discover their legacy of trivia. You are all my children now! I used to say this to my students in art history class. Is that creepy? Oh, well. They loved seeing the 300 as an example of Greek Art. That was about as close as they were gonna get! The academics in my department weren't convinced. Oh, well. I did explain to my students that the Persians were not all transvestites that rode rhinos. Does it matter? Perhaps, it does. Alexander the Great would definetly be opposed to Iran getting the Bomb.

No comments: