Monday, February 16, 2015

CULTURE CRUSH 2015

In the cultural critic game, it takes one to know one. Richard Florida's popularization of the "Creative Class" has been a part of my own discussions about artists' survival in urban environments. He has done well as an author and pundit. I'm not sure what state he lives in. Now writer, Scott Timburg is following on Florida's coattails with his new book, Culture Crash. Notice the similarity in the cover designs!



This is my response to a review in the Wall Street Journal which I read in a sofa chair while smoking a pipe and viewing bird life in the garden. Timburg starts his tale with his being let go as a journalist. This adds a sour note to our cheery notion of creative types working away in little business enriching communities. His term "content serfs" rang especially in my brain. That translates into working for free. Everybody may want content but they want lame content. Philadelphia (like many other places) is ground zero for this sort of activity. My point has always been that all creative jobs and crafty pursuits (ever expanding to include beer, knitting & scrapbooking) get confused with actual contemporary art which has a bad rep already. I will get back to you after I read the book. This artist/writer will order a copy at the local library. This takes time but it is how I interact with the creative community and make use of city services.

3 comments:

Christopher Hall said...

When you get around to reading this, I'd like to know what you think about it.

James Rosenthal said...

Ditto, pal. Cultural Graveyard is another good title as yet not written!

Christopher Hall said...

Funny, "Cultural Graveyard" is a nice turn of phrase. You should use it! And speaking of cultural graveyard, I just wrote a short blog comparing museums to mausoleums (borrowing Adorno's idea). Hope you are well! http://www.theoriginalkingofpainting.com/blog/2015/3/3/museum-mausoleum